Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Review: Crown of Midnight by Sarah J Maas

Title: Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass #2)
Author: Sarah J Maas
Genre: Young Adult, High Fantasy
Release Date: 21 August, 2013 (Australia)
Source: Bloomsbury Sydney. Thank you!!
Goodreads | The Reading Room



Eighteen-year-old Celaena Sardothien is bold, daring and beautiful – the perfect seductress and the greatest assassin her world has ever known. But though she won the King’s contest and became his champion, Celaena has been granted neither her liberty nor the freedom to follow her heart. The slavery of the suffocating salt mines of Endovier that scarred her past is nothing compared to a life bound to her darkest enemy, a king whose rule is so dark and evil it is near impossible to defy. Celaena faces a choice that is tearing her heart to pieces: kill in cold blood for a man she hates, or risk sentencing those she loves to death. Celaena must decide what she will fight for: survival, love or the future of a kingdom. Because an assassin cannot have it all . . . And trying to may just destroy her.

Love or loathe Celaena, she will slice open your heart with her dagger and leave you bleeding long after the last page of the highly anticipated sequel in what is undeniably THE hottest new fantasy series.
Review by Nara


No spoilers for Throne of Glass or for Crown of Midnight :)

I'm going to be slightly unconventional in this review and start by writing about the ending of Crown of Midnight. The Ending = Mind. Blown. COMPLETELY BLOWN. Seriously, after having read that last line, I started stumbling around the house in a daze wondering what the hell had just happened. How could I have not predicted it? How could I have not had even the slightest hint of what was coming?! A round of applause for Sarah J Maas! Wow.


So many twists are thrown in here and there. Events that I never thought would happen. The absolute horror I felt at some scenes. The bubbly delight at others. And just this continual shock as all the events unfolded. Maas writes Crown of Midnight in third person multiple point of view. I find that this style tends to work quite well in High Fantasy novels, and Maas certainly pulls it off with exceptional skill.

Spoiler alert: Celaena is freaking badass (not actually a spoiler). I find that she's actually a rather refreshing protagonist in the world of wishy washy male dependent female main characters that is young adult (wow that was a long modifier haha). She's just a really entertaining character to read about- I love how she has multiple facets to her character and is just so incredibly complex.

CHAOL!! *fangirls*. I have to admit I was Team Chaol in Throne of Glass, and Crown of Midnight has only solidified that belief. I just love the interactions between Chaol and Celaena. They're just so right for each other. I love how he doesn't interfere with her badassery (as in, she doesn't become a puddle of uselessness every time he steps on the scene). I love how she softens his harder edges. THEY'RE JUST PERFECT.

Don't get me wrong though! It's not that I hate Dorian. I love Dorian as well. Dorian's point of view in Crown of Midnight? FREAKING AWESOME. One of the unexpected twists actually centres on Dorian. I don't want to spoil things for potential readers, so I'll just say that it was sudden, it was like WTF and it was EPIC. I just didn't like Dorian with Celaena. It was good that the love triangle didn't completely drag on- it wasn't as if Celaena was constantly bouncing from one guy to the other (that would have been seriously annoying).

There is the emergence of a new villain- not a completely unexpected one- in addition to The King (who is obviously the main villain in the series. GO DIE!) An epic new mystery plotline is also brought in- which I think will be the thread that pulls together all six books (by the way, did people know there were going to be six books? I found out recently and best news ever!)

If you are one of those people who haven't yet read Throne of Glass- seriously?! Go read it! And if you are one of those people who have read Throne of Glass and are hesitant about second book syndrome- Crown of Midnight definitely doesn't suffer from that condition. So go read it!

p.s. If you haven't read the Throne of Glass novellas, you are seriously missing out. They're amazing, and while it isn't essential you read them, they do aid in the background story.

Favourite
Ratings
Overall: 10/10
Plot: 5/5
Writing: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Cover: 4/5






21 comments:

  1. Wow your excitement is contagious. I actually wasn't that into Throne of Glass but everyone keeps gushing over Crown of Midnight even more so I think I'll give the series another try. Hopefully I like it more the second time around. :)

    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OHMYGODHOWCOULDYOUNOTBEINTOTHRONEOFGLASS!?!
      haha I'm just kidding, fair enough, to each his own.
      Crown of Midnight is actually much better than Throne of Glass, so I'd give it a try!

      Delete
  2. Everyone is GUSHING over Crown of Midnight! And I'm like, I need to read this NOW.

    Problem is, I haven't even read Throne of Glass. But I will. Soon. (I promised myself!) And then I will buy this and gush over it with the rest of the community. Finally!

    Also, I love that your review is spoiler free. Lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. READ IT. It will blow your mind.
      Thanks Celine :)

      Delete
  3. I reviewed this one today too :). And I'm totally with you on Chaol/Celaena. I wasn't a huge fan of Dorian in ToG, but this book, with the twist related to him, well, it made me a fan of him. It's nice that he got a bit more developed. And I agree with you on the various perspectives working really well for this story, even if you don't see that much in other high fantasy stories. I had recently heard about the six books part, but I'm a little wary o.O. The world is really large, and this one didn't suffer from second book syndrome, but except for Harry Potter, most series that I've followed for that many books--well, I start to lose interest or think that some aren't worthy of the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope she can pull out enough content to fill the six books. I do think she will be able to do it, but we'll see, I guess. And OMG I love Dorian- it was definitely nice to see a bit of character development there!

      Delete
  4. YEAH TEAM CHAOL WOOOOOO!!!!! (that is all.)
    P.s. people need to appreciate how very hard it is for you to be surprised at plot twists. and not even the end twist, like EVERY MINI TWIST. omg. just so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME review, I love how you didn't include spoilers since I haven't read either of the books yet. You have made me so excited to start this series I feel like I should go and get my copy of Throne of Glass right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG Alise read the book asap. ASAP!!! Seriously, put down all your other books and read Throne of Glass RIGHT NOW.
      You can thank me later ;)
      hahaha

      Delete
  6. I love your review!! As soon as I read this: "she's actually a rather refreshing protagonist in the world of wishy washy male dependent female main characters" I knew I was going to have to buy the first book and read it right away. I've heard a lot of good things about Maas's books, but the hype kind of always gets in the way - I'm too scared I'm not gonna like it. But I'll definitely give it a try! c:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, hype is definitely always a scary thing, but I think that in this case, you really have nothing to fear! While some people may have found a few flaws in Throne of Glass, Crown of Midnight is epic! So I'd definitely give the series a try!
      Thanks Eve :D

      Delete
  7. I am seriously not lying when I say that all I've seen for Crown of Midnight are 4 - 5 star reviews. THAT'S SOMETHING. And I also heard that we get to see more of Celaena's dark side, so that's great, too! I agree that a lot of the heroines these days are so male dependent it's offending. *huff* Can't wait to get my hands on this! Wonderful review, Nara!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We definitely see more of Celaena's dark side! So many assassinations and brutality and pure badassery!
      Read it as soon as you can because you won't be disappointed :D

      Delete
  8. YEAHHHHHH TEAM CHAOL!! We in da house!
    GET THE DAMN BOOK ASAP!
    And I know right! When I found out I was like AHHHHHHHHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's it, I need this series on my shelf NAOOO. All the raves are working. Everything about it just sounds awesome, from the badass characters to the villain and the fantasy storyline! Great rave review!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha please do so! And then you can join in on the raving :D

      Delete
  10. Sounds awesome Nara!! Can't wait to get started on a new series - and it definitely seems like these ones are the best way to go!!
    Thanks again Nara!! :D

    Tayla @ Uni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI TAYLA :D
      Yeah, you should totally get started on this series!
      It's rather amazing :D

      Delete
  11. I REALLY need to start this series, I already have a copy of the first book haha. Perhaps after the HSC...
    It seems that everyone is loving Crown of Midnight so I'm definitely looking forward to that book!

    Great review :)

    Estelle @ Reading in the Dark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck for the HSC!

      And yes, you definitely need to start the series because it is awesome. And then you can join in on the Chaol fangirling haha
      Thanks, Estelle :)

      Delete