Wednesday, August 28, 2013

ARC Review: Thin Space by Jody Casella

Title: Thin Space
Author: Jody Casella
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal Fantasy
Release Date: 10th September, 2013
Source: Publisher via NetGalley
Goodreads | The Reading Room


Ever since the car accident that killed his twin brother, Marshall Windsor has been consumed with guilt and crippled by secrets of that fateful night. He has only one chance to make amends, to right his wrongs and set things right. He must find a Thin Space—a mythical point where the barrier between this world and the next is thin enough for a person to step through to the other side. 

But, when a new girl moves into the house next door, the same house Marsh is sure holds a thin space, she may be the key—or the unraveling of all his secrets.

As they get closer to finding a thin space—and closer to each other—Marsh must decide once and for all how far he’s willing to go to right the wrongs of the living…and the dead.
Review by Nara

And just like that, I knew. Two seconds earlier I'd thought I was in pain. But that pain was nothing. Nothing. Because now I knew. My brother was dead.
Despite the interesting premise and the awesome line above (which is the last line of the prologue), the majority of the Thin Space was rather average and, quite frankly, boring. At the half way point nothing had happened. I kid you not absolutely nothing had happened. At the three quarter mark, still nothing had happened except that I was bored out of my mind and pretty much ready to get the whole thing over and done with.

Main character Marsh was very meh. I couldn't really connect with him, couldn't really understand what was going through his mind- despite the book being written in first person perspective from his point of view. Love interest Maddie- also meh. The characters just didn't have that much depth to them. They certainly weren't engaging enough to support the plot and the book. If they had been more interesting, I might have been able to overlook the boring plot, but as it stood, all they did was serve to compound the mediocrity of the plot. The romance was okay, I guess, but it didn't have me swooning or anything. Probably because the characters were so crappy.

I didn't really get the idea of "thin spaces". I mean, I understood what they were, but not really the mechanics of them. Can anyone dead just randomly flow through them? Could I go into the world of the dead through them? Where exactly do they go through to? Perhaps this just wasn't explained properly in the book (possible) or I was just so freaking bored that I didn't care to read the explanations properly/accidentally skimmed over them (probable).

But then BAM at the very end of the book, an unexpected event arose. One that had me going, wait, what? WHAT THE HELL!? I have to say, the ending redeemed the book. Slightly. It was still boring as f*** so it's getting a three stars from me. Without the twist at the end though, it definitely would've gotten a two. To be honest, I personally wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Unless you don't mind really boring reads where nothing happens, in which case, kudos to you.

It was okay
Ratings
Overall: 5/10
Plot: 2/5
Writing: 3/5
Characters: 2/5
Cover: 3/5





22 comments:

  1. Eh, I was thinking of requesting this one from NetGalley, but I'm not so sure now. I have little patience when it comes to boring plots, but plus boring characters? So not for me :|

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah if it hadn't been a review book it quite possibly could have been a DNF...

      Delete
  2. Okay, I'm definitely staying away from this one. It sounds completely boring. I'm impressed you got to the end. These days I'm so impatient so about 50 pages in I would have quit. :/

    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to finish most books I read, because I always have this hope that there might be some sort of interesting ending. And there was in this book, but I guess that didn't change the fact that the rest was still seriously boring.

      Delete
  3. Oh no, I hate it when there's nothing going on in a book, yet the words and pages go on forever! Sigh. Why do authors feel the need to do that, then drop a bomb of an ending?! I'm kinda getting tired of it. Great review tho!

    Vi
    Confessions of a Vi3tBabe
    Deity Island

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it is a bit annoying. I'd much prefer it if there was some more interesting stuff earlier on so I wouldn't be tempted to give up the book.
      Thanks Vi :)

      Delete
  4. Now I'm feeling unmotivated to read this one, but I guess I have to. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you get it from NG too?
      Good luck, my friend.

      Delete
  5. A boring start and a character you couldn't connect with, those two things are more than enough to stay away from this book. At least the ending was exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I suppose that was the one redeeming factor of the book. Definitely not enough to redeem the whole book though haha

      Delete
  6. I don't think I'll be reading this: depth-lacking characters and boredom are both a big turn-off for me. Thanks for the review, because it was really helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you for not wanting to read it haha
      No problem Celine!

      Delete
  7. What kind of name is Marsh? LOL. I don't think I'll be touching this book now, plot and main characters seem dreadful.

    Lovely review, Nara! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you never heard of the name Marsh haha. Short for Marshall?
      Thanks Mel :D

      Delete
  8. Ooh, no! Average, I can take, but boring? Probably not. I have Thin Space up next to read, so thanks for the heads-up, Nara. Maybe I'll be able to enjoy it a tad bit more now that I now what to expect, mostly. And it sucks that the very thing the story is centered around isn't explained properly. A bit iffy about this book now, but I'll try to go in with an open mind. Great, helpful review, hon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's definitely best to keep an open mind, who knows, you might end up really enjoying this one!
      Thanks Meg :)

      Delete
  9. I was a bit meh about the synopsis, it didn't really draw me in and it sucks that the book wasn't that good either :( Boring books are never good and I always feel the temptation to DNF them haha. Great review Nara :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually thought the synopsis sounded pretty good! (apart from the whole cliched new girl aspect) I was so tempted to DNF...and probably would have, had this not been a review book.
      Thanks Charlotte!

      Delete
  10. Ugh... I hate books where nothing happens. That's often the reason why I don't finish a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I hear you. Although for me, DNFs are mostly likely if the story is overly dramatic and angsty (yes, I'm looking at you, New Adult...)

      Delete
  11. Your review isn't motivating me to read this one :p But really, if it's boring that is just the worst! gah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha it's not really supposed to motivate you to read it :P
      It's pretty boring...

      Delete