Thursday, March 19, 2015

Don't Dismiss the Fluff


This post is a part of Contemporary Conversations, hosted by The Thousand Lives and Talking Bookworm.

The fluffy contemporary.

It's a subgenre that many a YA reader may scorn. Oh, it's mindless, oh, it's too simple, oh, it's just not epic enough.

Well, let me convince you otherwise!

The main two reasons you should try a fluffy contemporary are really:

1. They never fail to make you feel better on a bad day. They make you feel extremely warm and fuzzy on the inside, because you always get your happy ever after. 

2. Sometimes you just need a break from dense fantasies with epic quests and intricate magic systems, or intense thrillers with nail biting action and compelling mysteries: this is when you turn to the fluffy contemporary romance.

And of course, you should never dismiss something without having tried it first! So here are a couple of fabulous contemporaries which have the perfect amount of fluff:


The Distance Between Us
Kasie West, Fluffy Contemporary Queen. She has such a great balance of humour/lightness and drama. And her male leads are ridiculously swoony. AND GAHHH THE BANTER. THE BANTER IS EPIC.
“Is that your subtle way of saying you missed me last week?"
"I've missed my hot chocolate. I just think of you as the guy who brings it to me. Sometimes I forget your name and call you hot chocolate guy."




On the Fence
Another Kasie West! I liked this one less than TDBU, but that was purely because I preferred the male lead in TDBU to the one in On the Fence haha. They're both rather fantastic. On the Fence is a best friends turned romance, which let's be honest, is the best type of romance.




The Art of Lainey
Using the rules found in The Art of War to devise a devious scheme to get back your ex? What could possibly go wrong!

Something really fantastic about this book is that it features a realistic friendship between Lainey and her best friend. They're not the bitchy sort of best friends you often annoyingly find in YA. They truly support each other even when their schemes may not be the most appropriate or logical plans of action haha



To All the Boys I've Loved Before
LKASDLFALPWE!!
SO ADORABLE. I CAN'T EVEN.
And bonus: the main character is half Korean! Hooray for diversity! (I was especially excited when I discovered this because I'm Korean Australian)
Only problem with this book is that it has a cliffhangerish ending- but it's only considered a cliffhanger-sort-of because there's a sequel. Honestly, the ending would have been fine for a standalone (although quite open)

Do you read fluffy contemporaries? If not, WHY NOT?! :P
Any recommendations?