Sunday, March 10, 2013

ARC Review: Breathless by Brigid Kemmerer

Title: Breathless (Elemental #2.5)
Author: Brigid Kemmerer
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal Fantasy
Goodreads



Too many secrets. Not enough time.

Nick Merrick is supposed to be the level-headed one. The peacemaker. Since it’s just him and his three hotheaded brothers against the world, that’s a survival tactic.

But now he’s got problems even his brothers can’t help him survive.

His so-called girlfriend, Quinn, is going quick as mercury from daring to crazy. Meanwhile, Quinn’s dancer friend Adam is throwing Nick off balance, forcing him to recognize a truth he’d rather shove back into the dark.

He can feel it—-the atmosphere is sizzling. Danger is on the way. But whatever happens next, Nick is starting to find out that sometimes nothing you do can keep the peace.
Review by Nara


Thank you to Kensington Books for sending me an advance copy of Breathless through NetGalley. In no way did this affect my opinion of the book.

So, this is just a novella (it was pretty short, I think it says 65 pages on Goodreads) so I'm just going to be doing a really quick review of this one, more like a mini-review I guess.

Pretty much from Storm (Book One in the Elemental Series), my favourite characters were Gabriel and Nick (I don't know why, but I seem to have a fascination with twins...e.g. Fred and George from Harry Potter). This novella gives you really great insight into Nick's character- particularly his insecurities and dilemmas. Because part of the novella is from Nick's point of view, you can see facets of his character which you don't really see in the previous books, where he just seems to be the calm, reliable one. I'm definitely looking forward to the full book from his point of view (Book 4, to be released in January 2014) and the development of his relationship with a certain other character...

On the other hand, I never really liked Quinn as much. I suppose because she was more minor throughout the series, she just didn't have the same impact as a character. Still, I found her point of view entertaining, and I wouldn't mind reading more about her in subsequent books.

If you're a fan of the Elemental Series, this is definitely a novella to get hold of.

Read the other books in the series!
0.5. Elemental
1. Storm
1.5. Fearless
2. Spark

Incredible

Ratings
Overall: 9/10
Plot: 4/5
Writing: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Cover: 2/5





4 comments:

  1. Love this series. Great review. Love the twins. I have my copy just waiting to be read.

    Wickedly Delicious Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The twins are the greatest! Hope you like Breathless as much as I did :)

      Delete
  2. Yay!! I've really liked this series so far. Although there are TOO many novellas to buy, I'll probably buy this one. Sounds like a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, there have been a ridiculous number of novellas published lately. I actually really like novellas though, since you get snippets from the points of view of certain characters that you might not normally have seen.

      Delete