Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Heart of Thorns by Bree Barton

Title: Heart of Thorns
Author: Bree Barton
Genre: High Fantasy
Source: Katherine Tegen via Edelweiss
Goodreads





In the ancient river kingdom, touch is a battlefield, bodies the instruments of war. Seventeen-year-old Mia Rose has pledged her life to hunting Gwyrach: women who can manipulate flesh, bones, breath, and blood.

Not women. Demons. The same demons who killed her mother without a single scratch.

But when Mia's father suddenly announces her marriage to the prince, she is forced to trade in her knives and trousers for a sumptuous silk gown. Only after the wedding goes disastrously wrong does she discover she has dark, forbidden magic—the very magic she has sworn to destroy.
Review by Nara

I remember liking Heart of Thorns overall, but I am definitely struggling to write a review for it a month after I read it- there are certain aspects of the novel that I remember, but there aren't a lot of things that I specifically remember feeling strongly about it (good or bad). The main thing I remember is that it followed a lot of the classic high fantasy tropes, and the majority of the novel was filled with predictability and stereotypes. However, I do also remember that there are some big twists in the end that were not as predictable.

I think if I were to go on to read the sequel I would certainly need to reread the first book or at least read a recap. There are many major plot details that I have forgotten, including the names of the characters. Overall, a decent read that doesn't particularly stand out in any way.

Liked it
Ratings
Overall: 7/10
Plot: 3.5/5
Romance: 3/5
Writing: 3/5
World Building: 3/5
Characters: 3/5
Cover: 3/5