Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Review: Pivot Point By Kasie West

Title: Pivot Point (Pivot Point #1)
Author: Kasie West
Genre: Young Adult Paranormal Thriller

Goodreads rating: 4.32 out of 5.00 (300+ ratings)
Goodreads link


Addison Coleman’s life is one big “What if?” As a Searcher, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she can look into the future and see both outcomes. It’s the ultimate insurance plan against disaster. Or so she thought. When Addie’s parents ambush her with the news of their divorce, she has to pick who she wants to live with—her father, who is leaving the paranormal compound to live among the “Norms,” or her mother, who is staying in the life Addie has always known. Addie loves her life just as it is, so her answer should be easy. One Search six weeks into the future proves it’s not.

In one potential future, Addie is adjusting to life outside the Compound as the new girl in a Norm high school where she meets Trevor, a cute, sensitive artist who understands her. In the other path, Addie is being pursued by the hottest guy in school—but she never wanted to be a quarterback’s girlfriend. When Addie’s father is asked to consult on a murder in the Compound, she’s unwittingly drawn into a dangerous game that threatens everything she holds dear. With love and loss in both lives, it all comes down to which reality she’s willing to live through . . . and who she can’t live without.


Review by Chantelle

I circle the pivot point. The point right before the path separates. I press my finger into the center. One little choice can make all the difference.

This debut lived up to all of its hype and more! I expected a fresh, interesting exploration about the concept of decision-making and their subsequent consequences, and I got that. What I didn't expect, was this novel to turn into a thriller that kept me bed-ridden the entire day, sporadically yelping and needing breaks because I was so tense and utterly invested in the plot. In other words, I didn't expect this debut to blow me away. Well, it did. 

Pivot Point is set in contemporary America, however, our heroine Addison (Addie) Coleman is from a secluded Compound that hides a race with heightened psychological abilities such as persuasion, telepathy or in her case, divergence (the ability to "Search" or live both possibilities of a choice). What? a novel about people with mind powers that isn't some post-apocalyptic, depressing dystopia?! Yep, and this way, the novel retains all the humour and relatable qualities of our beloved chick-lits. We're introduced to Addie as "an antisocial, controlling bookworm"... Chantelle, meet your twin. Twin, meet someone who will become truly invested with the choices and romances you make. The plot begins when Addie finds out that her parents are getting divorced - an unfortunate but often occurrence in families of the modern era - and she is forced to choose which of her parents she will continue to live with. The twist is that her father is moving to the "Outside" (basically normal civilisation as we know it), so Addie's also choosing whether to stay living with her abilities in the Compound, or forsaking them to live normally. Through Addie "Searching" and living both options, I was entertained and immensely riveted with the juxtaposition of her life in the Compound where she meets the cocky, handsome quarterback Duke; and her life in a normal highschool where she meets the more subdued and cute Trevor.

For me, the path of Duke was quite cliche. Shy, bookworm is doggedly chased down by the hottest guy in school who is also the school star quarterback through no effort of her own. But it's a very well loved cliche, and you know what's better than sulking from a divorce? A bad boy. 

      “You know what else the average girl who’s acting out does?” Duke asks quietly.
      I glance once at Laila, but it’s obvious she can’t hear us. “What?”
      “She starts spending all her time with a boy who’s no good for her.”
      “And that boy would be …?”
      “Me, of course.”
      “You’re no good for me?”
      “Horrible. I’ll take your mind off schoolwork, force you to constantly think about kissing, and make you want to spend all your free time away from home.”
      I can hardly breathe. “Sounds tempting … you know, just to go along with my acting-like-the-average-teen plan.”
      “Exactly.”
      I look up and meet his eyes. “You know we’re nothing alike, right?”
      “Isn’t there a reason for the saying ‘opposites attract’?”
      “Yes—magnets.”

Mmm, you can't blame a boy for trying.

Now, the first impression we get of Trevor, is cowboy boots... not always my cup of tea. But he's funny, sensitive and, oh shit, taken? Maybe just best friend material then... 

      When my lungs start to burn, I realize I’m holding my breath. I suck in some air. There’s a tug on the bottom of my shirt, and I look down to see a section of it wrapped around his finger. My eyes dart to his, and he’s staring at me with intensity. My whole body feels like it’s turned to liquid, and I barely resist the urge to melt to the floor.
      He takes the heating pad off his shoulder and sets it on the desk. “You want to be best friends?” Has his voice always sounded so smoky?

YELP! 

Two completely different paths, with their own respective highs and lows; two paths that we as the reader also partake; two paths that become so much more complex than ever expected; two paths that intertwine and eventually lead to climactic and immense conclusions.

So which will she pick?

Which would you pick?



If you've already read this novel, click here


OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG
LAILA DIDN'T GIVE HER THE LETTER!!!!
LAILA. DIDN'T. LETTER. TREVOR. ADDIE. LAILA.
WHHHHHYYYYYYY

February 2014 really couldn't come fast enough. Kasie West, you better fix this!



Ratings
Overall: 9/10
Plot: 5/5
Writing: 4.5/5
Characters: 4/5
Cover: 5/5

2013 PANACEA CANDIDATE


7 comments:

  1. Hehhee great review, Chantelle! I'm glad to hear you had fun with this. I really liked it too! Wasn't Addie just brilliant? I loved how easy it was to both relate and connect to her. I can't wait to see what happens next. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!!! I was so happy to read a novel where the main character was still flawed, but who I didn't feel like stabbing every two chapters (*cough* Katy in Onyx). Thanks for the nice words!

      Delete
  2. GAHH!! This sounds so amazing! I'm so freaking excited to read this, and this review made me want to even more! I can't wait to see how the plots intertwine and connect. Thanks for an awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words :) I'd be interested to hear your thoughts when you finish reading it!

      Delete
  3. Great review - I love your review style! Pivot Point was much more than I expected... I read a lot of meh debuts prior to this one so I wasn't holding out much hope. And then I LOVED IT! And I loved your spoiler part of the review... I was screaming about that as well, I love Trevor. I almost wish I hadn't read this so early because now next year is just SO FAR AWAY!

    Lauren @ Lose Time Reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. uugghh I know right! Feb 2014... kill me now. Glad to know someone else was screaming with me on that last part haha but seriously, laila needs to get her act together.

      Delete
  4. Love your review of Pivot Point Chantelle, it sounds different from Just Like Fate how that one is mostly focused on the romance and this one has a thriller in it :)

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete