Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Chantelle's Review: Dirty Red By Tarryn Fisher

Title: Dirty Red (Love Me With Lies #2)
Author: Tarryn Fisher
Genre: Mature Young Adult

Goodreads rating: 4.43 out of 5.00 (1, 500+ ratings)
Goodreads link


Dear Opportunist,

You thought you could take him from me, but you lost. Now, that he's mine I'll do anything to keep him. Do you doubt me? I have everything that was supposed to be yours. In case you were wondering; he doesn't ever think about you anymore. I won't let him go....ever.

Dirty Red




Review by Chantelle

** Warning! Contains spoilers for The Opportunist. **


If The Opportunist was to chaos, then Dirty Red must be to therapy. 

I have never been so reluctant yet curious to read a book, as I have with Dirty Red. In a way, it has been many firsts for me. I have so much trust in Tarryn Fisher now it's crazy, for all those who still haven't read Dirty Red, some wise words:

"Tarryn knows best"*


After the destructive narrative of Olivia in the first installment of the Love Me With Lies series, we are now treated with the narrative of Leah, the woman responsible for the final nail in the coffin which was Caleb and Olivia's UN-happily ever after. So to put it nicely, Fisher wants us to read an entire novel from the point of view of an arrogant, repulsive, capital-B Bitch. 

Yeah, REAL!

But, repeat after me, Tarryn knows best!

The writing and plot is so dramatic that even after the first SENTENCE I knew I had to retreat into isolation in order to read it in such solitary peace to rival Grenouille's stint in the cave (Perfume by Patrick Süskind). Similarly, I also emerged naked and triumphant...

Kidding, guys, kidding! That was only one time!... kidding (Mean girls, anyone?) Okay I'll stop. But really, it's still half true - as in the latter half... is true. Aca-awkward


Anyway!

I love Fisher's preference for villains. They really are more interesting and engaging. I never liked or felt sympathy for Leah, but I don't think that I was supposed to - and that made this book all the more enjoyable. But like Olivia, I have a healthy albeit reluctant admiration for Leah.

It shouldn't have felt so satisfying to watch Leah self-destruct in this novel but it truly was. After watching Caleb and Olivia's love implode, Dirty Red was the perfect sequel because it provides hope, something that was completely trampled and crushed towards the end of The Opportunist.



Now onto the part where I blubber and word vomit praises for Tarryn Fisher.
Click me to read spoilers


Dropping the baby bomb in the very first sentence, and then it's connection to the very end?????? Ingenious. Everyone, a moment of silence while I slow clap. Fisher, you are as cruel as ever, playing on our hopeless romantic notions and (at first) crushing our spirits with a BABY which is beyond huge, and then lifting it right at the end and spinning that atomic bomb right back in Leah's direction... oh gosh I'm still fanning myself from the repercussions.
So, the real question now is, Who is the real Opportunist? Because I'm now doubting whether it is Olivia (I mean Leah is one competitive bitch)... and Caleb's pov is still to come.

Thief could not be released soon enough.


Here are my departing thoughts:


1. Tarryn fisher - I ardently love and admire you. 
2. Oscar Wilde once said: "Art is neither moral nor immoral, only well written or poorly written" Amen.
3. Love is not selfish; I guess Leah found out the hard way. 

and finally,
I will reach across cyberspace and viciously uppercut anyone who even thinks about skipping to the end.


Ratings
Overall: 10/10 Definite Panacea Candidate!
Plot: 5/5
Writing: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Cover: 2/5


I have also reviewed The Opportunist (Love Me With Lies #1), to read it, click here

*Quoted from Tarryn Fisher's blog, link here