Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Death and Night by Roshani Chokshi

Title: Death and Night
Author: Roshani Chokshi
Genre: Young Adult, High Fantasy
Source: St Martin's Griffin via NetGalley
Goodreads








An exclusive Star-Touched novella over 100 pages long!

Before The Star-Touched Queen there was only Death and Night.

He was Lord of Death, cursed never to love. She was Night incarnate, destined to stay alone. After a chance meeting, they wonder if, perhaps, they could be meant for more. But danger crouches in their paths, and the choices they make will set them on a journey that will span lifetimes.
Review by Nara

Before I get into this review, I would definitely recommend that you read The Star-Touched Queen before reading the novella, because even though some things aren't explicitly stated, I feel like just the hints gleaned from this novella may spoil you for certain aspects of the novel (which is set in the future). In fact, you should probably stop reading this review if you haven't yet read TSTQ.

The writing is the beautiful prose that I've come to expect from Chokshi, the vivid descriptions managing to capture my attention and fascination with the world that she has built. The story is very solid as well for a short novella, and reading it actually made me want to go back and reread The Star-Touched Queen to see what connections I could find. The romance is very well done, and you're able to see much more of Amar's backstory than is just given to you in TSTQ (which wasn't a heck of a lot from what I remember).

I actually don't think I should say much more about the novella. If you've read TSTQ you should definitely read it to supplement your knowledge of the characters and setting. If you haven't read TSTQ hopefully you haven't come this far in the review and have gone off to find yourself a copy haha.

Really liked it
Ratings
Overall: 8/10
Plot: 4/5
Romance: 4/5
Writing: 5/5
World Building: 4/5
Characters: 4/5
Cover: 4/5